January 24, 2020

Still Painting

Since my last post, Debra of  Penny The Duck and I agreed to both get back to painting after some time away from it. No deadlines or assignments, just spend some time painting each day whenever possible. There’s nothing I like to paint more than sky and water, but I struggled with this one (8”x10” acrylic on canvas board). It’s my first time using a canvas board instead of a stretched canvas, but I didn’t like it very much. So it’s back to stretched canvas for the next one. 

January 17, 2020

Back to Painting

I’ve felt for awhile that I should get back to painting, but it was Debra’s post on her blog Penny The Duck about challenging herself to paint every day that gave me the shove I really needed. She is a passionate bird lover, and I look forward to the images she paints! My subject matter is usually more landscape-related. I especially love seascapes, so here is my 9”x12” acrylic on stretched canvas. It’s not my favorite, but it’s done. I once read “Done is better than perfect” :) This is mostly a palette knife painting. I love the way those knives can cover a canvas quickly, but my hand is more comfortable using brushes. So I’ll be working more with those in days to come.

January 9, 2020

Scraps Everywhere!

Yesterday I blindly grabbed a handful of scraps from my scrap bin. After looking them over, I thought they had possibilities. With a little fussy-cutting, I started to see something. Sewing them down on a 4x5” background completed the project. Having fun!!

January 7, 2020

A Mystery

The urge to create something (anything!) was so strong today that I sat down in front of my sewing machine with a pile of scraps. I had no plan but sewed them together until something emerged. I dont know what it is but my husband calls it a turtle angel. I really can’t say why, but I kind of like it. lol.

December 13, 2019

A Little Green Man

It took me too long to finish this one, it’s only about 2.5” tall. But I’ve noticed my hands don’t like the poke-poke-poking of needle-felting very much. Onward with whatever is next!

November 21, 2019

*REALLY* Done!

I liked Carol’s suggestion to poke only a few hat pins in my needle-felted pincushion. I tried it with a few vintage hat pins, and I like the look. So now it’s really done and has become a sculpture instead!

November 19, 2019


I had a few additional ideas for things to add, but they were impossibly small. Deciding a pincushion needs space for pins, I called it finished. This was tedious to make, so I don’t think I’ll make another, but I’m glad I did this one!

November 15, 2019

In Progress...

This needle-felted sculpture is 3-1/2” by 3-1/2” and about 50% finished. I was inspired by the work of Mimi Kirchner who makes small wool felt sculptures inside teacups. Mine is built in a wet-felted bowl that I knitted years ago. Life has been busy, but I hope to complete it soon. In the meantime, Thanksgiving and family are on my mind. 

November 6, 2019

A New Look

In an effort to spend less time on my iPad, I decided to simplify my blog page. The blog name has changed to be all-inclusive of what keeps me busy, and I plan to continue following my favorites on the Reading List page. Commenting hasn’t changed, so feel free to let me know you were here. Being a minimalist at heart, this feels good!

October 31, 2019

Needle Felted Doll

About 6” tall, she is dressed to party. I have learned a lot, but clearly not how to make shorter arms!

October 27, 2019

Papermaking Session

I realize there are only 3 sheets of paper, but that’s enough for me these days. The tan sheet with a deckle edge was made from a mixture of cotton linters, junk mail, and a couple drops of green food coloring (which oddly doesn’t show). Wanting to get back to basics, the two white sheets are 100% cotton. The dark specks in all three sheets are bits of dried fall leaves added to the blender mix. I’ll use all three of these papers in homemade note cards.

October 25, 2019

Needle Felting Continues

Just finished this 5” needle-felted Gnome who has been charged with bringing good luck and watching over the treasures in the earth of our yard. I think of flowers, bulbs, and visiting wildlife out there. However, the newest member of our family, our 45 pound rescue dog, Seamus, is convinced the treasures are moles. He has dug relentlessly trying to find one, but so far the Gnome has protected them all! 

October 20, 2019

For the Spooky Season

I was going through some of my older projects today, and these 3 dolls asked to be taken out of storage for the Halloween season. They were made during a time when I was obsessed with making stump dolls. I always inserted sage in their stuffing for good vibes and polished river rocks for weight. I’ve missed dollmaking!

October 15, 2019

Needle Felted Macaw

This 6” Macaw was completed last night and photographed today. I’m happy with it, but I got so enthused that I overworked my hands. I had to get out the heavy duty brace this morning. My urge to create is so strong I often forget about common sense! :()

October 14, 2019

Fiber Art Experiment

Except for the blue and yellow in the sky, this image was created with strands of silk from Silk Hankies and Alpaca wool roving. I painted the sky with acrylics on a 9x12“ canvas, then used Mod Podge to attach the silk and alpaca. It was hard to get the fibers to stay in place as they stuck to my fingers, but I persisted to push them around until a voice said to stop. Thankfully, Mod Podge dries slowly enough for me to do that. It was fun, and “it is what it is”. Never afraid to post my “Mehs”.  ;)